Monday, February 3, 2014

Are our heroines growing up?

Recently I've read a few NA (New Adult) books and enjoyed them thoroughly. These are book featuring young heroes and heroines (usually in their early 20s) and targeted at readers roughly the same age.

However, when I first started reading romances, early to mid 20s was a pretty standard age for most romance novel heroines.  These days there seems to be an an increasing trend in contemporary romance (and especially in erotic romance) towards older heroines.

My own heroines tend to be in the 28-33 year age range, because I prefer slightly more worldly-wise characters (no simpering virgins here!)

It's made me wonder whether (a) it's only a trend in my reading rather than the world at large, (b) it's a new trend caused by the split between NA and contemporary romance, or (c) it's a growing trend because readers are growing up and looking for more mature heroines.

So it's poll time! Please share your thoughts in the comments, and take part in the poll in the right side bar to let us know (as readers rather than as writers) which age group you prefer your heroines to be.


8 comments:

Sally Clements said...

Really interesting question, Romy. Like you, I prefer heroines a little older than early twenties!

Caroline said...

I'm the opposite. I prefer my heroine around 20ish. I think that's because I write historical's and I'm aware that 35 was considered "old" back then due to the high mortality rates and lack of healthcare! (Not very romantic I know but...) Caroline x

Kathy Bosman said...

I also prefer the older heroines and find I tend to make most of mine over 25. And I think it's true that readers prefer them, too, now unless they're going for YA or new adult.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

A very interesting question! I choose the age to suit the story and characters rather than setting out with a definite age. Also depends if it's contemporary or historical. However, for reading, I prefer slightly older heroines - probably the 28-35 group, although I read anything if I like it!

Unknown said...

It's a good point, and very interesting to think of. I tend to prefer my heroines to be a bit older, less emotionally driven and a bit more wise. I guess it depends what type of romance I'm reading :D Great post.

Marie Dry said...

I prefer slightly older heroe's and heroines. At least late twenties but that is a personal thing. It depends ont he story but late twenties early thirties normally work for my characters.

Romy Sommer said...

Thanks so much for all the feedback, ladies. So it seems like the verdict is: Yes, our heroines are getting older than they were a decade or so ago.

Anonymous said...

I also prefer them older, 25 to 35. I like maturity, or should i state, I like my ladies to be independent.