Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Author Spotlight: Sutton Fox

Yayyy, Sutton Fox is here! I'm thrilled to welcome her to the Minxes blog today and yes, I'm extra enthusiastic because Sutton also happens to be one of my critique partners. We've grown through the RWC and various other groups and I'm so proud of her achievements. That she's also a F1 fanatic like me, makes me love her all the more! Take it away, Sutton :)

1. Where were you in your writing career 5 years ago?

Five years ago, my writing career existed only in my head. I hadn’t yet put butt in chair and fingers on the keyboard to write.

2. Where did you get the idea from for this particular book?

I love A Christmas Carol, and Scrooged during the holidays. But I never quite get enough of the ghosts. I really wanted to know how they came to be showing people their pasts, or futures. And that’s how Christmas Holly came to life. It’s my version of who ghosts are.

3. Where do you hope to be in 5 years time?

I hope to have a list bestseller. NYT, USA Today, Publishers Weekly. Really, I’d just like to write a book that would make somebody’s list. A good list, that is.

4. Which was the last book you read that you wish you'd written?

Any of J.R. Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood series. The stories are very dark urban fantasy. Both powerful and compelling, her characters are incredibly flawed. Still, they draw you into their world, and their pain, and keep you there, until the very end. And in the end, even they find happiness.

5. Was there any particular author or book that made you want to be a writer?

There are so many. The top of the list would have to be Nora Roberts and Stephen King. They each have a separate and distinct style, and in their own way, have given me the courage to find mine.

6. Do you find writing love scenes giggle-worthy or cringe-worthy?

Neither. They are really a natural progression of my characters relationship. It just feels like the right thing to do when they happen.

7. What's the most romantic moment of your life so far?

For me, it’s the little things. Recently, we went out to lunch and as I paid the bill, I walked out the door, and there sat my partner with the car pulled up to the curb to pick me up. And I realized he’s been doing that for many years. Before he leaves the house, he’s sure to find me, just to kiss me goodbye. Those seemingly small things make every day special.

8. What do you wish you'd known about being an author before you were pubbed?

That writing and getting a book published is like having a baby. There are just things that happen along the way, both good and bad, and if people told you beforehand you wouldn’t believe them. Each experience is unique, and you really have to live it to believe it.

9. What's the best writing advice you've ever been given?

Nora said, ‘Just write, and write some more. You can fix a mistake, but you can’t fix a blank page.’

10. Tell us about your latest release.

Here’s the blurb for Christmas Holly:

Young, beautiful, and certain of her future, Holly Clark fully expected to have a wonderful time attending her mother’s annual Christmas Eve bash. The one thing she didn’t expect—was her own untimely death.

Gallery owner and world renowned artist, Greg Marshall is desperate to relive his past. Until he receives a startling visit from a woman he believed to be the love of his life. Her sudden appearance has the power to change everything.

Love doesn’t mean what it used to. Can the past really affect the future, or can the future transform the past?

11. What’s next for you?

2011 looks to be a very exciting year. It will bring the release of High Wire, and Trick Riders, the third and fourth books in my auto racing series, the Traveling Circus. I’m also working on another writing project, one I’m not at liberty to discuss yet, but hopefully, I’ll have more good news after the holidays.

Point of sale link: http://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-christmasholly-469338-

It's been great having you here today, Sutton. And everyone, Sutton's stories are great reads, so go and get your copies!

13 comments:

Sally Clements said...

I love the sound of Christmas Holly, Sutton - really intriguing! Thanks so much for going minxy for the day.

Kate Reedwood and Felicity Kates said...

I love Christmas romance stories and this sounds like such an interesting one. Can't wait to read it. Running over to get my copy now...
Great interview Sutton and Maya!

Kat said...

I am a complete sucker for Christmas stories and the blurb for this one sounds fantastic Sutton, def different!

Romy Sommer said...

I've never read JR Ward, but I'm loving Gena Showalter's books which sound very similar. So it looks as though you've just added a whole lot more reading to my already teetering TBR pile.

Sutton Fox said...

Thank you, Sally. I wouldn't miss a good time with the minxes!

Sutton Fox said...

Kate! Great to see you. Thanks for stopping by.

Sutton Fox said...

Thanks, Joanne. It's funny as writers how different things catch our attention isn't it? If you read it, I hope you like it!

Sutton Fox said...

Hi Romy! It goes both ways. Now I'm curious about Gena, I'll have to check her out. Thanks. :)

Piper Denna said...

Hmm. Like carrying and delivering a baby... I like it. :) Very apt. And hardly anybody expects the amount of "disciplining" they'll have to do with that baby. LOL
Great interview!

Sutton Fox said...

Broken Link.

My apologies to all. The link I sent for Christmas Holly seems to be broken. Here's the one that works for the moment. :)

http://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-christmasholly-469338-143.html

Thanks, everyone!

Sutton Fox said...

Hey, Piper. Thanks for taking time to stop by.

Sutton Fox said...

Sending a special thanks to Maya for being such an great friend and CP, and major thanks to all the minxes for having me here today.

Wishing each of you awesome success with your writing, and a multitude of blessings in your life.

All the best.

Christina Hollis said...

Hi Sutton (sorry, my first post disappeared).
2011 looks like a great year for you - and I love the cover of High Wire!